The Cattleman's Pages of History
We are in the 103rd year of The Cattleman magazine. We thought we would take a few minutes each month to look back in history to find the interests of cattle raisers at the time. We have reprinted the text of these news items as they appeared in the issue. Any comments from the editor appear in brackets.
The photograph used for the March 1917 cover showed a herd of Hereford cows on pasture. No other information was found.
➤ An enterprising young Texas man, P. S. Goen, of Harvey, took two Jersey cows with him to Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas [Texas A&M] to start a little dairy business to help pay his expenses. The president approved the use of a shed and small pasture. Goen experienced no trouble in disposing of the milk, his sales averaging around $54.00 per month. “His feed bill for the two cows was about $14.00 per month, leaving a profit of $40.00 per month. With this income he paid all of his expenses and finished the year with a little change in his pockets.”
➤ By the time this issue went to press the compulsory Statewide Tick Eradication Bill had passed in the Senate and was expected to pass in the House within a short time. The bill called for the tick-infected area of Texas to be divided into zones for the eradication work. It was noted that a number of counties were very active and expected to be freed of ticks and released from quarantine before the law became effective.
➤ The Cattleman’s cover was “The Horse Trade” a painting by Peter Hurd. “Nationally known Artist Hurd enjoys depicting ordinary situations around the New Mexico countryside where he ranches. On this month’s cover of The Cattleman, the artist has gathered together the ingredients for horse trading — men and horses — and he leaves to the viewer to decide who is the buyer, who is the seller and who is getting the best end of the trade.”
➤ Jan. 24 was “Don King Day” in Graham, Texas. The Chamber of Commerce and area cattlemen honored King by dedicating the Young County Junior Livestock Show to him and presenting him with a plaque. King was a TSCRA inspector in the Graham area before moving to the headquarters office in Fort Worth to assume the position of secretary-general manager, which he held from 1966 to 1995. The association was founded under an old oak tree in Graham in 1877 by 40 men to fight the menace of cattle theft. Apprehension and conviction of cattle thieves remain a high priority of the association.
➤ In “Washington Roundup,” Fred Bailey writes: “Touchiest subject around the U.S. Department of Agriculture these days is whether USDA is, in fact, still in the business of representing farmers. Or whether it’s consumers who now pull the strings…”
The “Pages of History” is excerpted each month from The Cattleman magazine.